Servin Up Some

Monday, July 25, 2011

Tool #6: Using Web Tools to Promote Discussion in and out of the Classroom

There are many web tools that enable classroom discussions through anonymous input. In addition to discussion prompts, polls can be taken, questions can be asked, homework can be assigned and easily accessed provided the user has access to the Internet. I chose to preview Google Apps because this tool is being aggressively promoted by SBISD. Click here to see the prompt for the Google Doc I created.

Based on the summary on the 11 Tools webpage, I also was very interested in previewing Edmodo. Part of the description states, Edmodo provides a real-time platform to exchange ideas, share content and access homework and more! Students are given classroom code so no student account creation required. I searched and searched for the classroom code, but could not find one. Consistently I saw that, Students will then register and use the teacher’s code to join that class. Once the student has created an account, all they have to do is click "Join" and enter the 6-digit code that I provide and they are able to access, and reply to, whatever I have assigned. Unfortunately, I cannot find an embed code or a specific link to my assignment for you to use from this blog. However, if you join for free, you can use the code, wjg9s9, to access my assignment. Registration only takes a minute.

What I've created is simple, but through more researching, I hope to create more vivid and exciting assignments. Care to share any creative projects?

No comments:

Post a Comment