Servin Up Some

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Thing #10 - Second Life

Second life is a virtual world that is free to join. The registration process wasn't too painful. My avatar/character is LovenAces60 Oridium. Learning the movements took little effort (learning to walk, fly, sit,...). I spent a good amount of time looking to get some clothing, but when I went to the store and walked around for a good amount of time (upstairs and downstairs), all I found were women's clothing.

I'm having a hard time finding many practical applications for the demographics at my school -- elementary aged, lower SES, where many don't have easy access to Internet. However, students that are able to interact could definitely benefit from the writing and reading things that are of interest to them. A moderator/teacher could initiate topic/s to initiate round-table discussions. This could also evolve to literature circles or writing groups.

1 comment:

  1. Second Life and I were not a happy couple. I've decided that you have to have NO LIFE to get involved in Second Life!

    ReplyDelete