Servin Up Some

Monday, July 12, 2010

Thing #5 - Microblogging

I have an account with Facebook, but rarely use it for reporting my personal happenings. I guess I'm just a private person. However, Facebook and Twitter have applications beyond updating daily occurrences.

Both have educational applications that teachers and students can benefit from using. Coming up with my own thoughts about this became more difficult after reading "Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter," that was suggested on the Library2Play II page.

The greatest advantage I can think of is information is always current. Rather than researching a particular topic and finding information possibly dated from several years ago, experts can share current ideologies as they occur.

Taught content may not have sufficient opportunity to "tattoo" itself onto your brain. But when you receive your classmates' and educator's relevant tweets and status updates, the topics stay relevant and prompt off-the-cuff thoughts and ideas. Key personnel communicate their own ideas, until a collective brainstorm is established.

1 comment:

  1. Twitter has never "spoken" to me - I have an account but never use it. I do like Facebook though I never play any of the games - it's a good way to keep up with folks. I am careful to keep my Facebook page "PG" since I now number some former students among my "friends".

    ReplyDelete