Servin Up Some

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thing 19 - Web 2.0 Awards

The Web 2.0 Awards list has a number of sites that I found quite interesting. Del.icio.us, Craigslist, Twitter, Flickr, and a couple others are sites I'm already familiar with and enjoy what they have to offer. Some of the sites I viewed are below. Although the Awards site lists the 1st-3rd place plus an honorable mention, I've only looked at the 1st place winners at this time.

A number of these sites are good for personal use. Upcoming.com is an excellent site for finding events coming up in your neck of the woods. What I appreciate is the events that are listed are not all high ticket items. Events such as the World Series of Dogs to Basics cooking classes are posted. Searches can be done by category or date. City Searches are nowhere near as comprehensive. Another site I was looking forward to using for digital storage and remote access was Omnidrive. Unfortunatly, it's been discontinued. This seemed unusual for an award-winning site. That's the business world I guess. I LOVE the widgets site YourMinis.com. All types of widgets are available to embed on your blog or website. I placed the Internet Radio on this page, but it was a little too much with the Rollyo search and books already showing, so I removed it.

Sites that educators could absolutely take advantage of from the awards list are del.icio.us, .docstoc (many educator created forms and lessons), GoogleBlogSearch, and Flickr.

I'm looking forward to previewing the 2nd-honorable mention places in the near future. It's like looking for buried treasure.

1 comment:

  1. I use Mozy.com for my backups. I do pay $$ but everynight it backs up my data and don't have to do anything other than leave my computer turned on.

    ReplyDelete