Servin Up Some

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Thing 8 - RSS Feeds and Readers

RSS feeds and readers allow me to keep track of the new things added to websites and blogs. Unfortunately, it is also an excuse for me to subscribe to every website under the sun to keep watching for great content. It's like my daily newspaper written by all the websites I like to read. I open it up, and it shows me the recently added stories on all the sites at even faster loading times due to reduced graphics and ads. The same holds true for blogs to which I subscribe.

A reader such as Google Reader or Bloglines can be used advantageously in the classroom. Teachers can set up a reader and have students reference it for a variety of purposes. The reduced content and removal of distractors (e.g. blinking ads, hyperlinks, etc.) enable much more user-friendly reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment